- Sep122016Barbara Schwartz
Did you know that blue is the favorite color of nearly half the world’s population? It’s no surprise, then, that the gemstone sapphire, which occurs in a variety of hues (including violet, pink, green, orange and purple), is most often associated with the color blue. Since the Middle Ages, this jewel has symbolized the tranquility of the heavens as well as intelligence, trust, and serenity.
Sapphire is a rich and elegant hue that flatters all skin tones, hair and eye colors, and personal styles. Color psychologists suggest that we wear blue whenever we want to convey power and intelligence, receive respect, or communicate an important message. Because of the beauty and versatility of this color, sapphire vintage costume jewelry is an asset to every woman’s wardrobe. This vibrant shade mixes well with nearly all of the colors you already have in your closet as well as with the top 10 colors for this fall/winter season. In fact, according to Leatrice Eiseman at the Pantone Color Institute, “The desire for tranquility, strength, and optimism have inspired a Fall 2016 color palette that is led by the Blue family”.
So you’ll be right in style with this Sapphire Chicklet & Enamel Art Deco Necklace, made in the 1920s. A chicklet necklace is a modern name for a type of necklace comprised of open-back, clear- or colored-glass stones set in metal mountings that are linked together. This particular piece is unusual for two reasons. First, the chicklets alternate with sapphire glass stones molded in a step pattern, a common shape in that decade. Second, the last two links on both ends are blue enamel.
Here are five ways of wearing this beautiful necklace for on- and off-duty activities. All of these outfits feature v-necklines to allow you to wear the necklace next to your skin, where it was made to be worn. A curved neckline (scooped or crew neck) would work equally as well, as long as the necklace rests on your skin.
How to Wear It
1. Add this necklace to jeans, a white top, and a blazer for a stylish outfit to wear to the office on casual Fridays or out with friends after hours. This jacket is navy, but you could choose another neutral.
2. Here’s a dressier version of a trousers, white top, and blazer uniform that may be more suitable for your office. The burgundy bag compliments the burgundy in these chevron-patterned pants.
3. This necklace picks up the vibrant blue in the skirt of this wrap-top dress. I like the repetition of the dotted pattern in the earrings, dress skirt, and studded purse.
4. Whether you wear trousers or a skirt with a tweed jacket, you can make this classic look your own with this necklace and accessories. Simple silver hoop earrings don’t compete with the star attraction – the necklace – but do compliment the studs on the handbag.
5. For this elegant black tulle evening skirt with embroidered blue, emerald, and purple leaves, I’ve chosen a simple black top that allows the jewels to shine. This sterling filigree Art Deco bracelet has faux sapphires and diamonds, which compliment the sapphire necklace. Wear simple faux or real diamond studs to complete the look.
For More Sapphire Jewels
See the boutique’s September Birthstone Jewelry collection here.